What is the time frame for implementation of a licence type for marine engineers and other maritime personnel handling refrigerants?

Under a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the department and the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA), marine engineers holding a current or valid AMSA certificate of recognition a Marine Engineer Watchkeeper, Marine Engineer Class Two or Marine Engineer Class One will not be required to hold a Refrigerant Handling Licence (RHL) after 1st March 2009.

These exemptions do not apply for Marine Engineering Class Three, any Marine Engine Driver grade certificates or any other maritime qualification or licence, or any other person who handles refrigerant for any work on refrigeration or air conditioning equipment at sea. All individuals not exempt under the AMSA MoU are required to hold a Marine Transitional Handling Licence which permits the holder to handle refrigerant and undertake work on RAC equipment only when a vessel is at sea. 

Application for a Transitional Marine Handling Licence must include a letter from the employer indicating that the applicant is able to competently handle refrigerant and do the RAC work. 

contact us

  • 1300 88 44 83
  • 1300 55 40 23
  • enquire@arctick.org
  • Mail:
    Locked Bag 3033
    Box Hill VIC 3128